Monday 8th June 2020
Good Morning Team Oak! Date: 08.06.20
We hope you had an enjoyable weekend, we’ve loved receiving photos of your learning over the week. It was great to see how much thought you’d put into your lockdown likes and dislikes and we definitely agree with some of them!
It looks as though you’re enjoying From a Railway Carriage and Mrs McLellan liked seeing your illustrations of this.
House Points from last week:
Well done Green Team. Let’s see how we get on this week.
This week we will be continuing with poetry in English and in Maths we will be counting in 2s, 5s and 10s.
Attached to this email is the weekly overview so you can see what learning we will be exploring.
Today is ‘World Ocean Day’ – there are some classes available throughout the day as well as extra activities: https://worldoceanday.school/
Year 1 Writing Skills
- Orally rehearse their sentences before forming them.
- Capital letters at the start of each new sentence.
- Use clear spaces between words.
- Punctuate their sentence using a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Use their phonics knowledge to help them spell many words in a phonically-plausible way.
- Extend their sentences by using the conjunctions 'and' and 'because'.
- Form their letters correctly.
- We also encourage the children to read back through their writing
Today we would like your child to:
- Read to you (twice – once this morning and once this afternoon)
- Explore reading poems on : https://childrens.poetryarchive.org/explore/?key=&type=&poet=&theme=&form=&age=251
- Explore reading poems by Michael Rosen: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkt1aZj6mw2UyTowHN-WsXCYVrb6oPw63 (The children’s favourite is always Chocolate Cake!)
- Write a sentence about a poem by Michael Rosen that you enjoyed using the conjunction ‘because’.
- Have a go at the attached SPAG sheet.
Summer Term - Week 7 (w/c 8th June)
Lesson 1 – Counting in 2s.
- Write a sentence about someone in your family.
- To support your child with their cursive handwriting at home take a look at the 'Letter Join' website. This is the scheme of handwriting that we use at school. The log on details are:
Other activities your child might like to have a go at:
- Listen to a piece of music – can you keep a steady beat using your body? (clapping, tapping, clicking etc) How would you describe the music? What was the tempo like? Did the tempo stay the same or did it change?
- Learn about the Jewish celebration of Shavuot. Listen to the story of ‘Sammy spiders first Shavuot’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc9vgzSOZ4g
- What is Shavuot? Can you draw a picture?
- Join in with Hayley and dancing stars at 10am: https://www.facebook.com/groups/290188233729/
You can email photos of your learning to us at: email@example.com and we will reply to any emails that you send with further challenges and ideas!
If you are a parent of a child in Oak Class, we will be available to respond to you between 9 – 12pm every weekday during this time. Please bear in mind that we both have young children and may not be able to respond to you immediately.
Stay safe, wash your hands and keep learning!
Well done Team Oak!