Thursday 11th June 2020
Good Morning Team Oak! Date: 11.06.20 and 12.06.20
This email will cover both Thursday and Friday’s learning. Thank you for sending us photos of your learning over the week. You’ve shown such creativity and continued perseverance with your learning. Mason has made a fantastic blackbird diary after following the progress from a nest in his garden, Jake has made some lovely fish out of toilet roll tubes, Eva made a great picture of a baboon on the computer using purple mash and Amaiyah has created her own acrostic poem using her name! Some really wonderful work and ideas from you all. Well done Team Oak. We hope you enjoy the rest of your week and we look forward to seeing your food poems.
Year 1 Writing Skills
- Orally rehearse their sentences before forming them.
- Capital letters at the start of each new sentence.
- Use clear spaces between words.
- Punctuate their sentence using a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Use their phonics knowledge to help them spell many words in a phonically-plausible way.
- Extend their sentences by using the conjunctions 'and' and 'because'.
- Form their letters correctly.
- We also encourage the children to read back through their writing
Today we would like your child to:
- Twice a day.
- Choose a story from Oxford Reading Owl https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/
Thursday: Using your mind map and ideas from yesterday – write a verse of your poem. Have a look at the alliteration and/or rhyming couplet ideas you came up with yesterday, remember to include these in your poem.
You can use this sentence starter to help you would like to:
There is a type of food,
That puts me in a good/bad mood,
Friday: You can add another verse to your poem or add some illustrations to go with it. Remember to look back at your mind map to help you with some good word choices and if you can, challenge yourself to use rhyming couplets and/or alliteration.
Summer Term - Week 7 (w/c 8th June)
Lesson 4 -
- Practise your handwriting in your English work.
- To support your child with their cursive handwriting at home take a look at the 'Letter Join' website. This is the scheme of handwriting that we use at school. The log on details are:
Other activities your child might like to have a go at:
- Think about our environment. Watch this clip: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/z8s87hv
- Fill out the attached template ‘Caring for our environment’ How can you help to care for our world?
- Take part in some Cosmic Yoga https://cosmickids.com/category/watch/
- Have a go at a Joe Wicks workout: https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1
- Read the story of ‘The Huge Bag of Worries’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QwEOSBjOt8
- Talk about any worries that you may have.
- Create your own worry monster, either a drawing, picture, collage, model etc
- Explain that sharing worries can help so you don’t have to carry so much. We all have worries but it is important we talk to each other about them.
Thinking Book Question:
- If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
- Listen to this piece of music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLUFIwiJafY
- What does it make you think of? How does it make you feel? Draw a picture to go with the music – is it a pattern/place? What colours have you used?
You can email photos of your learning to us at: email@example.com and we will reply to any emails that you send with further challenges and ideas!
If you are a parent of a child in Oak Class, we will be available to respond to you between 9 – 12pm every weekday during this time. Please bear in mind that we both have young children and may not be able to respond to you immediately.
Stay safe, wash your hands and keep learning!